Gas – Friend or Foe?February 27, 2017
Ductless Or Not Ductless? That’s The QuestionApril 26, 2017
After an unusually cool and prolonged winter and so much rain, Oregonians are looking forward to some sunshine this spring. Whether it’s the usual Oregon rain or some warmer weather coming your way, make sure you and your family are prepared for comfort year-round. When you want to turn on the AC, don’t wonder whether or not it will perform, do some spring preparation to make sure you’re good to go.
Morrison Heating & Cooling has been helping families like yours with air conditioner repair and maintenance in Happy Valley, OR since 2004. For over 10 years, we’ve made it our mission to provide reliable, affordable home comfort to our community. Here are the best ways to make sure your air conditioner is ready when you need it.
- Get on a filter changing routine. Did you know not changing your filters on a regular schedule, will decrease the lifespan of your AC? It causes additional wear and tear on all the moving parts when the coils behind the air filter also get trapped dirt and contaminants on them and reduce the airflow to your AC. Plan to change air filters about once every two months, but check the manufacturer’s recommendation on your unit. One strategy we’d like to share is setting a calendar alert on your cell phone to remind you when it’s time. Just like that sticker reminder you get for an oil change for the car, this is a good way to keep track of your needs.
- Keep your AC on a tune-up schedule. Every year, your AC needs to be cleaned, inspected, and tested for performance by a certified HVAC technician. If it’s been a year or more since your last appointment, your AC is overdue for a look. Expect about an hour’s time to set aside. This maintenance will help catch smaller repairs and save you from paying for expensive large-scale repairs and the inconvenience of a broken down machine. It improves air quality by the cleaning work done and helps keep utility bills lower by making your AC run at its best.
- Clean the outdoor compressor. Turn off your air conditioner and use a hose to blast water on the compressor. Use an up and down circling pattern while you work. If you have a dryer vent nearby, have it cleaned so dusts don’t escape and cause problems inside your outdoor unit.
- Remove all yard debris away from the compressor to prevent accidental clogs.
- Listen for unusual sounds that are signs your air conditioner has a repair issue. Don’t wait for them to go away, it’s better to call and address the problem then let it do potential damage inside. If you hear unusual bumping noises, something may be rattling loose inside or the compressor belt could be wearing out. If you hear humming or screeches, the condenser or compressor motors may be bad.
If you need air conditioner repair and maintenance in Happy Valley, OR, give Morrison Heating & Cooling a call at 503-760-6455.